Sunday, April 06, 2008

Speek up for those who cannot speak for themselves

I received a letter from our compassion child today. JA is from Honduras and is one year older than our oldest. This verse was on the bottom of the back of the page.

If you have never received a letter like this. The top half of the letter is written in the native language by the child or their parents, then the lower half is translated into our local Language.

The full verse says,

  • 8. "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.
  • 9. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
It just struck me. I don't think that we are doing that, we are just sending a little money their way, not that much to us, but we wanted the kids to have someone to think of other than themselves. See the world as a little bigger. But I guess that is the calling.

I hope they take it with them when they get older.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill! I'm a little late on this one, but was making my blog rounds today and noticed this post.
Do you know where in Honduras your Compassion child is from? I've spent a fair amount of time there, and was just curious.

rustyspark said...

Thanks, better late than never!

We haven't heard exactly where he is from, but the project he is from is Lugar de Angeles Student Center.

A few weeks ago Hannah had drawn a picture for him so I had to sit down and write a letter to go with it. It is kind of cool that she wants to pray for him at night when we go to bed.