Monday, November 06, 2006

The Myth of application?

I don't know if you have ever wanted to pour yourself over the word of God but just fealt like there were barriers. Am I alone here? More than once I have had people tell me it is "OK" if you study the Word in small group "if you apply it".

Have we lost the idea of what the Word of God is? Is there any power in it any more? It is sharper than a butter knife; isn't it?

Lets remind ourselves that faith comes by hearing the word of God. Let me suggest that it is the role of the Holy Spirt to apply the Word to our lives. Don't you remember that God will not let it return to him empty without accomplishing the puropose for which he sent it forth?

In the evangelical community are we letting life application displace conviction over sin? Isn't the real application of scripture, a changed life? My wife and I recently had the privlage to attend the downpour confrence in Minnesota. In one session the speaker suggested that if confession means to say the same thing as God, than wisdom means to see things the same way God sees them. God give us wisdom to see our own sins and turn from them, instead of seeing all the sin in the world and condeming them.



No comments: